Revelation 20:12 reads “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, … and I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened … and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.”
On the judgment day, our personal works will be compared to the laws written in the books, obviously the books of the Bible – as other scriptures show the object our works will be compared to is God’s revelation about how we should conduct ourselves in this life:
· John 12:48 … the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
· Rom 2:16 when God shall judge the secrets of men … according to my gospel.
· James 2:12 … judged by the law of liberty.
So John 12:48, Rom 2:16, and James 2:12 teach we will be judged by God’s revelation, and Rev 20:12 details that it will be by written revelation. That contradicts the Catholic theory that we will be judged by the written scriptures plus what the Pope says ex-cathedra plus church tradition.
To summarize, we are going to be judged by the things written in the Bible:
· not by Catholic Church tradition
· not by what the Pope and his Cardinals say
Sola Scriptura – the Bible is our sole authority.